Giggleswick: 01729 822248 / Hellifield: 01729 850215 / Long Preston: 01729 840377
Special Educational Needs (SEND)

What does SEND mean?

‘SEND’ is short for ‘special educational needs and disability’. Some children will have particular strengths or challenges, will experience the world differently, or have different ways of making sense of life and different ways of thinking. Other children will have a medical condition or a particular physical challenge. SEND is about what all our children can do, and it includes children who are more able in some way, not just children who might be judged less able.

SEND is really a checklist for our federation: it’s a way in which we can challenge ourselves to make sure we have thought carefully about each child and how they will feel safe and valued, and how they will best learn and flourish. We work closely with families, medical and other professionals, to make sure we understand how best to support all our children. We believe that developing an approach to teaching and learning which is child-centred will benefit all our children.

Who do I speak to about my child’s needs?

If you are concerned about your child’s learning and development, speak in the first instance to their class teacher, detailing what you have noticed and anything you already have in place (such as recent eyesight or hearing checks).

If your concerns can’t be met by the class teacher, they will contact our SENDCo (Mrs Jones) to discuss appropriate strategies to support your child’s learning.  Should you wish to contact our SENDCo directly please do so using the email link below.

Statutory information

Please follow the links below to find out how we ensure that all our children receive the high-quality provision appropriate for their individual needs.

How to contact the SENDCo

SEND Governor, Carl Shuttleworth

Mrs Erin Jonnes –  


Information Report

Accessibility and Inclusion Policy

SEND – Local Offer

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND.)   They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, whatever their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.   The Local Authority publishes its Local Offer which provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.